In memory of Sarah Miller
1975 – 2020
It is with great sadness that we share the untimely passing of Sarah Miller, CaGBC Lead, Client and Member Engagement, on August 14 at the age of 44.
Many will recall Sarah’s warmth, sunny disposition, and sense of humour as the manager of the front desk, general phone line and email at CaGBC’s National office in Ottawa. In her 10 years with the organization, she played a key role in championing CaGBC’s membership, and was often the first point of contact, if not the “voice” of CaGBC, for companies and individuals seeking more information on how to get involved with green building programs, education and advocacy. She was a constant and cheerful presence at CaGBC’s Building Lasting Change annual conference, where she would welcome attendees and answer questions with a smile, along with serving behind the scenes to help the event run smoothly.
Sarah’s colleagues will remember her not only as a crucial member of CaGBC’s front-line staff, but also as an immensely kind, friendly and fun co-worker who always lent a hand. She helped plan celebrations and gatherings as part of CaGBC’s social committee, managed many of the office environmental programs, and went beyond the call of duty to ensure that CaGBC was a more engaging, enjoyable place to work for all.
Sarah is survived by her parents, Alice and Clifford Miller, and her younger siblings Andrew and Emily Miller. From all of us at CaGBC, we will miss her dearly.
Ways to honour Sarah Miller
Individuals wishing to honour of Sarah’s memory can make a donation in support of charities selected by the family: the Ottawa Mission Foundation and/or St. Joseph’s Parish Women’s Centre. Sarah was a passionate advocate for both organizations and loved to help others in her community. Each of the two charities will tally donations in Sarah’s name and provide a letter of acknowledgement to her family.
There are three options to donate to the St. Joe’s Women’s Centre:
- ONLINE through the St. Joe’s Women’s Centre page on CanadaHelps.org. CanadaHelps will automatically issue the tax receipt. (Note: CanadaHelps charges listed charities a fee for each transaction.)
- Once logged onto CanadaHelps.org, scroll down to “Apply your donation to a specific fund set up by this charity” and select St. Joe’s Women’s Centre from the drop-down menu.
- Please ensure you dedicate your donation in memory of Sarah Miller.
- CHEQUE: Cheque(s) can be mailed to the following address and tax receipts will be issued by the parish: St. Joe’s Women’s Centre, 151 Laurier Ave. E., Ottawa, ON K1N 6N8
- CALL AND PAY BY CREDIT CARD: Call 613-231-6722 and donate via credit card (Visa or MasterCard) and tax receipts will be issued by the parish.
Individuals wishing to donate to the Ottawa Mission Foundation in Sarah’s honour may choose from the following options:
- ONLINE on the Ottawa Mission website. Once you have chosen the donation amount and completed your information, you will have the option to indicate you are donating in Sarah Miller’s memory where it says, “What inspired your gift today?”
- CHEQUE: Send a cheque to: The Ottawa Mission Foundation, 46 Daly Ave., Ottawa, ON K1N 6E4. Please indicate on the cheque’s memo line that your donation is being made in memory of Sarah Miller.
- CALL AND PAY BY CREDIT CARD: Call 613-234-1155 and donate via credit card.
Tax receipts will be issued by the Ottawa Mission Foundation for all three options.
CaGBC is engaging with the Miller family to identify the best way to pay tribute to Sarah’s outstanding commitment to CaGBC, its membership and the green building community at large.