Reporting to the Director, Finance and Corporate Services, the Project Accountant supports the long-term strategic direction of CAGBC by providing analytical reports used for decision-making by the senior management team. The Project Accountant is also responsible for supporting the maintenance, development and reporting of the organization’s financials, Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and business analytics. This position operates as a project accountant for government funded projects, handling government reporting, reporting to the funders and reporting on grants. This position also supports the general accounting and reconciliation process for CAGBC.
For questions at any time or to submit your résumé, email CAGBC Recruitment. CAGBC welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part the selection process.
Project Financial Management and Reporting
- Operate as the accountant for funded projects, handling financial reporting to government or industry funders.
- Support the development of funding applications and budget proposals.
- Collaborate with project managers to ensure project files, including backup documentation, are accurate and complete.
- Meet with project managers monthly to stay abreast of project progress and assess the financial impact of changes to the delivery plan.
- Monitor program partners’ financial reporting and expenditure analyses.
- Monitor staff hours charged to projects and update resource capacity tracker.
- Track expenditures to ensure eligibility and compliance with approval processes and budget.
- Complete monthly revenue recognition and update project financial tracker.
- Prepare quarterly and annual project financial reports and forecasts.
- Handle year-end and final project audits.
Financial Planning and Analysis
- Contribute to the planning and execution of annual budgets and quarterly forecasts including:
• Preparing, analyzing and consolidating annual budgets and quarterly forecasts; and
• Verifying budgets, forecasts and identifying and interpreting variances.
- Evaluate profit and cost efficiencies in various areas of the organization.
- Complete cost/benefit analysis and/or develop business cases for proposed strategic initiatives, identifying risks, opportunities and financial impact.
- Collaborate with teams across the organization to produce timely analyses and financial forecasting to support business decisions.
- Identify and implement improvements in the areas of information management and performance reporting.
- Assemble necessary information and produce quarterly reports on the organization’s KPIs.
- Conduct monthly account reconciliations and assist with month-end close.
- All other duties as assigned.
Contract Review and Administration
- Assist in the development and maintenance of procurement policies and procedures.
- Participate in management review of proposals and contracts.
- Ensure all appropriate backup documentation are in place and the contract approval is in accordance with the current procurement policy.
- Respond to inquiries regarding the procurement and contracting process. obligations and revisions.
- Maintain a contract database for tracking, analysis and reporting purposes.
- Work with project teams and contract support staff to ensure agreements with funders, program partners, subcontractors and vendors are properly administered and adhere to CAGBC’s policies and procedures.
- Degree or diploma in accounting or current enrolment in a CPA program or equivalent
- 4-5 years’ related experience in financial reporting and l analysis or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Bilingualism in French and English is an asset.
- Experience in a not-for-profit is an asset.
- Strong quantitative and qualitative analytical skills, including business modelling, data mining and market research
- Ability to manipulate large amounts of data to derive useful information
- Experience in budgeting, forecasting and monthly financial reporting
- Experience with government reporting, grant reporting and reporting to funders
- Experience in procurement and contract administration
- Skilled in synthesizing and communicating complex, detailed information and analysis into high-level, big-picture summations
- Experience working with non-financial employees as an advisor
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office 365, Power BI and data query/data management tools
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, and comfortable interacting with executive-level management
- Strong collaborator who can overcome obstacles and build trusting relationships across the business at all levels
- Demonstrated leadership, judgment and decision-making skills
- Ability to work in a constantly changing environment and contribute to organizational growth and development
- Resourceful, enthusiastic and not afraid to bring new ideas to the table
- Advanced Excel skills are required (including modelling, macros, pivot tables, Power Query etc.)
- Working knowledge of Sage 50 and SAP is preferred
- Good judgement, relationship-building skills, and fully capable of working in a multi-disciplinary team-oriented, virtual environment as well as in an independent and self-directed manner.
- Strong sense of personal responsibility and accountability for delivering high quality work.
- Passion and commitment to sustainability and the CAGBC’s mission.