Reporting to the Director of Communications (“Supervisor”), the Communications Specialist supports CAGBC’s mission by contributing to corporate communications strategies and products that deepen member and stakeholder relationships, drive brand awareness, and fuel green building in Canada.
To excel in this role, you’ll need experience in content development/communications, public relations, media relations and project management. We welcome digital marketing and social media experience and especially bilingual practitioners.
This position is ideal for someone with strong project management experience, a broad communications skill set and a keen interest or background in green building, sustainability, and/or environmental studies.
For questions or to submit your résumé, email CAGBC Recruitment. CAGBC welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part the selection process.
- Help us tell the CAGBC brand story to members and stakeholders while elevating demand for and appreciation of green buildings.
- Support CAGBC’s departmental goals through timely and relevant communications with copy that sings, delivered on time and with consistently close attention to detail. We’re looking for a flexible writer who can shift with ease from social posts to long form case studies and news items.
- Be a brand watchdog for CAGBC and its products across all communication platforms/channels.
- Help us amplify CAGBC’s voice by managing external media and speaking opportunities across broad stakeholder groups.
- Manage translation providers to ensure consistent communications in French and English.
Reporting & Insights
- Manage the analytical tools and processes required to measure communication activities’ impact and effectiveness; Leverage data to provide insights that will help shape the direction of communications strategies.
- Establish and maintain ongoing relationships with key trade and mainstream media, develop proactive pitches to elevate CAGBC’s brand awareness and programs, and mentor the communications team to grow our media relations capabilities.
- Identify opportunities for CAGBC by monitoring news trends and industry issues and working with Supervisor to identify ways CAGBC can create impact.
- Be a productive member of cross-functional teams, providing oversight for communications deliverables and supporting project leads on deliverables.
- Provide regular updates on progress towards project deliverables through regular and timely project reviews; identify challenges and decision points and make recommendations to supervisor and project partners to ensure progress.
- Manage and track project tasks and deliverables to ensure all internal and external communications reporting requirements are met on time.
- Support and participate in the planning and execution of industry engagement activities related to green building.
- Minimum of four years of experience in communications (public relations, media relations, content development) with increasing responsibilities.
- Post-secondary degree in a related field (communications, journalism, public relations, marketing, etc.)
- We’re looking for a detail-oriented multi-tasker who can thrive in a fast-paced environment with shifting priorities.
- Part word nerd, part eco-champion and part mad genius, you have superior analytical skills and can synthesize complex information and repackage it to suit your target audience.
- Fit is everything, so you have strong interpersonal skills and a demonstrated ability to exercise diplomacy and good judgement while building rapport across different work styles.
- You find project management and organization as easy as breathing, and consistently deliver with a high level of execution and performance.
- Highly desirable:
o Fully bilingual
o Knowledge of WordPress, Adobe Suite, SEO, Hootsuite
- Good judgement, relationship-building skills, and fully capable of working in a multi-disciplinary team-oriented, virtual environment as well as in an independent and self-directed manner.
- Strong sense of personal responsibility and accountability for delivering high quality work.
- Passion and commitment to sustainability and the CAGBC’s mission.