- Why is the Greenest School in Canada competition cancelled for 2020?
- What are the criteria for eligibility and how do I apply?
- Can I submit in French?
- Can students or parents apply to Greenest School in Canada?
- How do I submit photos or video?
- Do I have to answer every question on the application form?
- What if my school hasn’t done any physical changes but is implementing sustainability into our curriculum?
- What types of questions are on the application?
- Is there anything I can do to make my application more appealing to the jury?
- Do you have examples of previous winners to give me an idea of what they did to win this title?
- Who can I talk to if I have questions about the application process?
- What is the deadline and when will the winners be announced?
1.Why is the Greenest School in Canada competition cancelled for 2020?
In consideration of the current COVID-19 situation and the closure of schools across Canada, CaGBC has decided to cancel Greenest School in Canada 2020. As schools and teachers transition to online curriculum, their attention will be focused on ensuring the best outcomes for students learning at home. CaGBC will relaunch the program in 2021.
2. What are the criteria for eligibility and how do I apply?
Schools that offer any grade from kindergarten to grade 12 in Canada are eligible to participate in the Greenest School in Canada competition, and will be judged on criteria including: efficient use of resources and reduced environmental impact; enhanced health and learning among students, teachers and staff; and emphasis on sustainability and resource-conservation education.
3. Can I submit in French?
Yes, applicants are encouraged to submit in either official language.
4. Can students or parents apply to Greenest School in Canada?
Submissions must be made by a school official, including a teacher, principal, school board staff member, or member of a parent advisory council. Due to the complex nature of the questions and the requirements, students are not eligible to submit on their own, however they are welcome and encouraged to participate and star in video submissions.
Any content submitted (including videos) is done with the knowledge that some or all parts of this content may be used by the Canada Green Building Council in promotional material at any time.
5. How do I submit photos or video?
Upon completion of your online application form, send any supporting video links (uploaded via YouTube or send via WeTransfer) and photos to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate in your email the name of the school associated with this supplementary information.
Submission guidelines for video
Videos must be:
- Sent to email@example.com via the free file transfer website WeTransfer, or uploaded to YouTube. YouTube submissions must email a link to the video with paper submission.
- Maximum of three minutes in length.
- No more than 2GB in size.
- Must be in a format viewable on both PC and Apple computers.
- You must have permission from all students in video.
6. Do I have to answer every question on the application form?
Yes, you must fill out each required question in the application form. This is to ensure fairness in judging. The questions have been carefully chosen to ensure that the jury has access to as many aspects and details about your school as possible in order to make an informed decision on the winners and the runners’ up.
a) What if I feel like I can’t answer a specific question well?
We are not judging you on your ability to answer all questions perfectly, so please answer each required question to the best of your ability. Even if some of the information is repeated or similar to a previous question – by demonstrating all aspects of your school’s sustainability efforts you will be giving your school the best opportunity to be considered as a winner or runner up.
7. What if my school hasn’t done any physical changes but is implementing sustainability into our curriculum?
The Greenest School in Canada competition is not all about having a green school building – in fact the CaGBC is predominantly looking for schools that are working with their community or weaving sustainability education into their curriculum and bringing programs and activities to students that encourage awareness about the environment. Of course, if you have done building updates or retrofits to the physical structure to make it greener, this will bolster your application.
8. What types of questions are on the application?
The types of questions we ask competing schools to answer include:
- How is environmental education emphasized at your school?
- Tell us about any conservation programs and efforts your school implements to minimize negative impacts on the environment.
- Is the school is involved with community initiatives and if so, how?
9. Is there anything I can do to make my application more appealing to the jury?
The jury takes each school equally into consideration, regardless of their size, type, number of students or location. What they are looking for are schools that can clearly demonstrate that they are actively involved in helping students and the school community learn about sustainability. This can be through the curriculum, changes to the school building, new programs or activities, and any work done to engage the community. The rest is up to you!
10. Do you have examples of previous winners to give me an idea of what they did to win this title?
The competition has been running for three years and we’ve had winners from across the country with diverse submissions. To help give you an idea of what it takes to win Greenest School in Canada, read any of the following profiles on our website:
11. Who can I talk to if I have questions about the application process?
If you have any questions about submission criteria, the submission form or video guidelines, or green schools in general – email us at any time. We are happy to help.
12. What is the deadline and when will the winners be announced?
Given the COVID-19 situation, the Greenest School in Canada 2020 competition is cancelled, so schools can continue to focus on students learning from home.
Starting early in 2021, CaGBC will be accepting submissions for the Greenest School in Canada through 11:59 PM PST on June 18, 2021. A jury of green building industry experts from across the country will review submissions in early summer, and the top three winning schools will be announced in mid-September 2021.