Since 2002, LEED Canada has been redefining the way we think about the places where we live, work and learn. Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) is a third-party certification program and an internationally accepted benchmark for the design, construction and operation of high performance green buildings. As an internationally recognized mark of excellence, LEED provides building owners and operators the tools they need to have an immediate and measurable impact on their buildings’ performance. Through certifying hundreds of projects over the past decade, LEED Canada
has transformed the way built environments are designed, constructed, and operated --- from individual buildings and homes, to entire neighborhoods and communities.
The Canadian rating systems are an adaptation of the US Green Building Council's (USGBC) LEED Green Building Rating System, tailored specifically for Canadian climates, construction practices and regulations. The rating systems are adapted to the Canadian market through an inclusive process that engages CaGBC members, stakeholders and experts representing the various sectors of the Canadian industry.
LEED promotes a holistic approach to sustainability by recognizing performance in five key areas of human and environmental health, which include sustainable site development , water efficiency, energy efficiency, materials selection, indoor environmental quality. Credits and Prerequisites are organized into these five categories. LEED Certification is based on the total point score achieved in these five areas, following an independent review. With four possible levels of certification (certified, silver, gold and platinum), LEED is flexible enough to accommodate a wide range of green
building strategies that best fit the constraints and goals of particular projects.
As a building tenant you will:
- Create a healthier, cleaner environment which in turn means more satisfied occupants and employees.
- Enhance your profile as a company that cares about the environment and our future.
- Lower your operating costs.
- Experience immediate and measurable results by saving energy, water and other resources ultimately reducing your carbon footprint.
As a building owner or operator you will:
- Get the tools you need to have an immediate and measurable impact on your buildings’ performance.
- Gain the advantage of third party verification. This stamp of approval can set you apart from the rest.
- Earn a competitive advantage - green buildings have great appeal to a growing number of corporate, public and individual buyers.
- Attract savvy tenants looking to benefit from all that green buildings offer.
- Reap financial benefits from your investment in green building design.
Promoting your LEED project
To learn about how to use the LEED brand when promoting your project, please refer to our LEED Brand User Guidelines.